11.22.2010

The Party



This was painted for the Calypso Moon Artist Movement. The title of the challenge was Painting History. It is my first time to participate in this challenge.

The girls in the painting are my granddaughters. They had just been dressed for a party. They weren’t posed but may have just felt special enough to stand still for a minute. When the small one saw a phone photo of the painting she said “oh that’s my big girl hair and that’s Pie telling to me.” I don’t know if I met all of the challenge guidelines but I enjoyed the painting experience.

11 x 14 oil on canvas

5 comments:

The Desert Girl said...

Welcome to the Movement! This painting is wonderful! I love the shadows of the pink dresses and how it is mimicked in their cheeks, shoes, and even on the floor. You have captured a moment probably forgotten over time. It is awesome.

Sheryl said...

Thank you for the welcome and the kind comments!

Nancie Johnson said...

Adorable! Love those pink dresses - looks like one is whispering to the other. They are sisters - no mistaking that! Nice work.

Barbara said...

This is a lovely painting. Nice colors and brush work. And it says so much about little girls in their party dresses, and about sisters.

Helen said...

I love a painting that tells a story, and this one does. We can just imagine what they're thinking, saying, and waiting for! Beautiful!